– Open your web browser. You can use Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or any other browser.
– On the web address section, type mail.google.com.
– Once you have been directed to the page, you will see a box that requires you to sign in to your account. However, since you do not have an account, you can click on ‘Create an account’ that is located below the sign in box.
– Once you have been directed to ‘Create your Google Account’ page, you can start the set up process. You will notice that you will be asked for some personal information. Type in your first and last name.
– After you type in your first and last name, you will see a box that requires you to choose your username. This will be the name that you will be using to sign in and it will end with @gmail.com. However, in the box, you do not need to include @gmail.com. You will only be required to choose the name you want to use.
If the username you type in is already being used by someone else, you will need to find another name since all usernames are unique. Hence, it is advisable to have more than one username ready in case the rest have been taken. Alternatively, you can choose one of the usernames that are available. They will be displayed and you can choose the one you can easily remember. If you easily forget, write it down somewhere you can keep referring to until the time you are able to remember it.
– The next thing you need to do is create a password. In this section, you will be advised to have a password that is at least 8 characters long and that contains letters and numbers. This is to ensure that your password is secure and hackers will not easily hack into your account. You can also mix uppercase letters and lowercase letters in addition to numbers.
After entering the password, you will be required to re-enter your password. This is done to ensure you are the one choosing the password and not a hacker. Make sure you remember your password. You can write it down somewhere secure where no one else can access it.
– Other details that will be required include your birth date, year, your mobile number and location. When entering your location, choose the location you reside in even though you may travel to other countries.
– You will also need to fill the CAPTCHA shown. This is a required step to ensure that an actual person is trying to set up an account. At times, the CAPTCHA may not be clear. If it isn’t clear, refresh it and another one will come up.
– Your account will be successfully opened and you will be guided on how to customize your account by adding a profile picture and also choosing the view you like.